- Vata diseases
- Joint pain
- Neuro muscular & skeletal diseases.
- Aches specially body ache, joint ache. Swedana is done as singular therapy for vata disorders specially involving musculoskeletal system or for Ama. But in majority of the cases it is done with snehana as an preparatory therapy for shodhana therapies like Vamana and Virechana.
Procedure ofSwedana is done by various types depending upon the requirement & strength of the patient. The commonest is steam application which is done either with the help of a closet (Sitting/ sleeping) if it is to be done on full body or with the help of a special instrument (
Nadi sweda Yantra) when to be applied on a specific area.
Diet forBefore During swedana there are no specific dietary restrictions but it is better to avoid hot & spicy food. Alcohol should not be consumed before swedana. After Patient is not supposed to have anything except warm water until half hour. Food should be consumed only when patient feels hungry. Alcohol should be avoided. Heavy, very spicy & junk food must be avoided during the course of the treatment.
Benefits of Swedan
- Profuse sweating occurs thereby removes the toxins out of body.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Improves the elasticity of the body.
- Increases the mobility of the all the systems.
- Reduces swelling.
- Reduces the pains, aches from the muscle & adjoining skeletal system.
Caution forThe swedana should not be carried out without consultation. Swedana must be avoided in the people who have consumed alcohol, who is thirsty, hungry, exposed to sunrays & worked in front of heavy fire. Should not be used in the patient with intolerance without testing. The swedana period must be watched & signs of swedana must closely be observed to avoid excessive swedana.